Land Use Program
This program was designed in recognition that the limited amount of arable land in the province must be carefully developed and protected to ensure its availability for agricultural use over the long term. This goal is pursued through the following:
- Agriculture Development Areas are identified based on soil surveys throughout the province, and where appropriate are gazetted as agricultural zones pursuant to the Lands Act;
- Land Management Planning for future agricultural use in consideration of the many other demands on the province's land resources such as forestry, residential, water supplies, quarrying and mining; For information regarding Crown Land Leasing for Agriculture see: Agriculture Leases or Licences.
- Land Use Services providing information regarding Environmental and Health (216 KB) programs in the province.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Environmental Farm Plan Program - Environmental Planning to assist the agricultural sector to comply with environmental standards;
- Property Taxation Exemption Program to meet the special needs of the farm community;
- Land Consolidation Program which provides for the purchase of land in the St. John's Agriculture Zone, as a means of protecting the agricultural land base and providing land to farmers.
For further information contact the Land Management Specialist or Agricultural Representative for your area.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.